Black Dogs: A Novel

Black Dogs - Ian McEwan "Black Dogs's" closest contemporary in the McEwan oeuvre is probably the novel "Saturday," as both can be read to satisfaction without acknowledging their political genesis, though at some level trying to read these very timely novels outside of their context seems to sell the whole purpose short. That effort is especially true with 1992’s "Black Dogs," published closely on the heels of German reunification, thick with reflections on the Jewish Holocaust, and constructed almost entirely around the inescapable political posturing that characterizes the estrangement of Bernard and June Tremaine, the novel's central figures.A friend once said that Ian McEwan was the author he most wished would receive the Nobel prize, and I have to agree. I can't think of another living author as consistent in skill or as clever in finding unique ways to engage an audience to read, knowingly or not, what previous generations would have called 'Political novels.' "Black Dogs" is as brilliant as "Atonement," as "Saturday," or as "The Child in Time." I believe there isn’t a book by Ian McEwan not worth reading.