Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)

Feed - Mira Grant While giving a distinct picture of life and a detail-rich depiction of an America surviving a zombie rising, the first half of author Mira Grant’s well-imagined novel Feed starts a bit slow. The environment and the political climate are established with history, case law, popular culture, and adept views at how blogs could come to usurp traditional news outlets, and Grant’s approach is not to rush to confrontation or climax but to establish plausibility, both in her world and in the voices of her characters. The second half of Feed is where this good work comes to fruition – the novel makes clear its goals, gives us a better feel for its genre (a kind of campaign history, autobiography, and political-tinged zombie thriller all in one), and heightens our investment in its protagonists as we see the stakes rise considerably at the story’s mid-point. Grant takes risks in the final third that work exceptionally well – saying true to the world while simultaneously prepping her audience for future additions. The book may not be the best of the genre (whichever genre that might be), but it is a believable world given heart by its characters. Only the long ladder to the top of the slide risks turning away less patient readers.