The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I: The Pox Party - M.T. Anderson Rich and resonant language, a slowly unfolding story, and with an awareness in narrative reminiscent of [b:The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman|76527|The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman|Laurence Sterne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309202864s/76527.jpg|2280279], The Pox Party is mature enough to give pause to readers of any age as it presents the flawed morality of America's past in a way probably none of us would have imagined. Alternating between worlds of rank privilege and forced sacrifice, skewed knowledge and unblinking simplicity, Anderson's world is painful, uncompromising, and so poetically drawn that its architecture chimes with the bones of histories known and imagined, showing the founding of the country--however nobly reasoned or ornately dressed--to have never dealt with its questions of race. A brilliant book that I hope never relinquishes its roots--Young Adults should eat our history (and us) alive for how much we've boiled stories for them into something soft enough for adults to digest.